Saturday, March 19, 2011

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Shaun of the Dead
Directed by: Edgar Wright
Starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield

Shortly after this was released on DVD, all I heard was friends talking about how funny it was. I tried to sit down and watch it for almost two months. Finally, I got a chance to give it a go. I don't want to say I was disappointed initially. I just didn't get what I had expected. I guess I had been expecting an outrageous Airplane! or Naked Gun style comedy. My friends and fellow film nerds urged me to give it another chance. "Its not an American comedy." I remember someone saying, referring the film's country of origin. I took the advice, and I'm glad I did. Shaun of the Dead is one of the most witty and brilliantly written comedies that has been released in the past ten years. 

Starting out, you wouldn't even know this movie contained zombies. (Well, if you ignored the title)  Shaun (Pegg) is a television salesman who hasn't done much with his life. He lives with his slacker roommate, Ed (Frost). Shaun has a girlfriend, but their relationship has become stagnant.  Its the same old thing every day. After failing at a chance to change his routine, and consequently being dumped,  Shaun sets out on a quest to get his girl back. The only thing is, the UK is now over run by the living dead. The film really lives up to its tagline. Shaun of the Dead isn't a zombie move; its a romantic comedy..with zombies. 
Quite a few zombies


The story can start out a bit slow for some in the beginning. There are plenty of interesting characters and funny situations right off, but it might be a bit of a let down if you went in expecting a modern day Romero film. One it hits the half hour mark, however, it'll really take off. The climax of the film is expertly done. It definitely is a throwback to the Romero zombie movie climax: The humans are not killed off by the living dead directly, but are doomed to die because they can't get over their petty disputes and differences. Plus, one of the best uses of a Queen song that I have ever seen. 

There are plenty of laugh out loud moments to be had here, like every good comedy should. But beyond raw laughs is sheer razor sharp wit. You can be watching this movie for your tenth time, and still pick up on subtle little jokes you've missed before. The film constantly makes nods at itself without breaking the fourth wall, which is an amazing feat in itself. For example, Shaun has a red pen leak in his shirt pocket near the beginning of the film. Almost every character from then on points out that "you've got red on you", even as his shirt is covered in copious abouts of blood and gore as the movie goes on.

You've got red on you.


Bottom line: 9/10: A real treat for any fan of comedies and/or zombie films. Any fans of British humor (or humour) shouldn't pass this one over either. Wonderfully written and scarce of any dull moments, this isn't one to miss.

   



No comments:

Post a Comment